How to Apply
As housing in the Eastern Suburbs Rental Housing Co-operative (ESRHC) is offered on a long-term basis, very few vacancies are available each year.
ESRHC participates in the Victorian Housing Register (VHR). The VHR is a common register for all people seeking long term social housing in Victoria. It consolidates all public and community housing applications into a single register so that applicants only need to apply once.
To apply online for any social housing including housing co-operatives go to the HousingVic website page Apply for Social Housing. Then select ‘How Do I Apply’ which shows how to apply via MyGov using the Victorian Housing Register Application.
In situations of housing crisis and the need for emergency accommodation, go to the HousingVic website page Crisis and Emergency Accommodation.
To be eligible for long-term housing with ESRHC, an applicant must:
- Meet the VHR eligibility criteria
- Be a citizen or have permanent residency in Australia
- Be a resident in Victoria
- Have no previous debt with ESRHC, the Director of Housing or another registered housing agency that remains unpaid
- Be generally 18 years or older to enter into a tenancy agreement
In addition to these requirements, to join a Housing Co-operative you will also need to:
- Demonstrate skills and understanding of the Co-operative model and a willingness and ability to actively contribute
- Demonstrate a desire to live in the dwelling type and location offered
- Be aware of the responsibilities of Co-operative membership including the requirements, capacity and willingness to contribute to the Co-operative and regular attendance at General Meetings
- Be willing to attend training and education workshops for Co-operatives
Applicants should note that if you are selected from the VHR, you will be contacted to ensure you still meet the eligibility criteria for housing with ESRHC and you will then be invited to attend a selection interview.
Victorian Housing Register Policies
The following policies are related to our participation in the VHR: